DR Ong Kong Wee
Place of Practice
K W Ong Breast & General Surgery
38 Irrawaddy Road, #10-24,
1 Farrer Park Station Road,
Consultant General SurgerySpecialty Interest: Breast Surgery
MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Edinburgh), PhD (Bristol), FAMS
Dr Ong Kong Wee runs his own practice at K W Ong Breast and General Surgery Clinic at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital and Farrer Park Hospital. Currently, he is also the Medical Director of Concord International Hospital.
His main clinical focus is on the diagnosis and management of benign and malignant breast conditions, based upon up-to-date medical evidence and techniques. His clinical interests include minimally invasive breast surgery, sentinel lymph node biopsy, breast-conserving surgery and breast reconstruction for breast cancer.
He was the Founding Head of the SingHealth Duke-NUS Breast Centre from 2014 to 2018, which is the largest centre in Singapore treating the full spectrum of breast conditions. In 2018, he received a 20-year Long Service Award in recognition of his years of contribution.
In 2012, he pioneered the technique of Intra-Operative Radiotherapy in the treatment of early breast cancers. Given his expertise in minimally invasive breast biopsies such as vacuum-assisted needle biopsy and hookwire localisation, he has been a Regional Medical Consultant to Becton Dickinson since 2018.
Dr Ong has a keen interest in breast cancer research and has many publications in top journals such as Nature Genetics, Lancet Oncology and Clinical Cancer Research.
Dr Ong is actively involved in medical education and training. He was Adjunct Assistant Professor at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, and Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. He served as Director of Resident and Student Mentorship at the Academic Clinical Program (Surgery) in SingHealth and was a Clinical Physician Faculty for the SingHealth General Surgery Residency Program. He was awarded the Outstanding Faculty Award in 2014. He has also trained many breast surgeons from neighbouring countries, including Philippines, Indonesia and Myanmar. He is frequently invited to lecture at local and international breast cancer conferences, and to conduct surgical workshops in the region.
Patient care is of paramount importance to Dr Ong. His efforts have been recognised at the National level, with a Special Mention in Customer Service (Healthcare) category at the Singapore Experience Awards in 2009 and a Silver Award at the Singapore Health Quality Service Awards.
KW Ong Breast & General Surgery
At K W Ong Breast & General Surgery clinic, we provide personalised and holistic care to our patients with breast and general surgical conditions. Combining our years of experience and expertise with the use of up-to-date surgical techniques, we can ensure optimal clinical outcomes for our patients.
Working closely with a handpicked team of experienced specialists, including plastic surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists as well as other healthcare professionals such as qualified and specialised nurses, physiotherapists and dietitians, our patients can look forward to a comprehensive one-stop service at our clinic.
Treatment of both benign and malignant breast conditions is our forte, as our Medical Director has more than 20 years’ experience in healthcare and was the Founding Head of SingHealth Duke-NUS Breast Centre, the largest specialty centre treating breast conditions across 5 public institutions in Singapore, namely National Cancer Centre Singapore, Singapore General Hospital, KK Women and Children Hospital, Changi General Hospital and Seng Kang General Hospital.
Our Comprehensive List of Services include:
- Clinical Assessment
- Second Opinion
- Breast Cancer Screening
- Radiological Evaluation (Digital Mammography, 3D-Breast Tomosynthesis, Ultrasonography, Computed Tomography and MRI)
- Minimally Invasive Breast Biopsy including Image Guided Core Biopsy and Vacuum-Assisted Breast Biopsy (VAB)
- Hookwire and Radiocolloid (ROLL) Localisation of Occult Lesions for Surgical Biopsy
- Mastectomy and Breast-Conserving Surgery (BCS)
- Oncoplastic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery including Nipple Sparing Mastectomy
- Sentinel Lymph Node biopsy
- Axillary Clearance
- Peri-Operative and Post-Operative Care
- Post-Operative Physiotherapy and Lymphoedema Care
- Genetic Counselling and Testing
- Fertility Counselling and Preservation to Young and/or High-Risk Patients
- Removal of Skin Lumps
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow, Academy of Medicine, Singapore
- 20 year Long Service Award – Singapore Health Services, 2018
- Silver Award – Singapore Health Quality Service Award, 2018
- Singapore Experience Awards: Customer Service – Healthcare Special Mention, 2009
- Singhealth Human Manpower Development Program Award – Clinical Research and Advanced Surgical Training in Breast Cancer, 2008
- Singapore General Hospital Oral Papers – Winner (Medicine), 2005
- Medical Research Fellowship, National Medical Research Council, Singapore, 1st Aug 1999 – 31st Dec 2002
- Best Houseman Award, Department of Oncology and Urogynaecology Kandang Kerbau Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore, 1st Sep 1997 – 31st Dec 1997
- Nestle Book Prize for Best Student in Paediatrics Clinical Clerkship, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Final Professional Examination, 1996-7
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Third Professional Examination, 1995-6
- Dean’s List, National University of Singapore, Second Professional Examination, 1994-5
- Academy of Medicine Bronze Medal, National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4
- Beecham Book Prize (Anatomy), National University of Singapore, First Professional Examination, 1993-4