DR NIKOLLE TAN WAN-HUI
Place of Practice
ASIA EYE CENTRE
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
MBBS (S’pore), MMed (Ophthalmology)
Dr Nikolle Tan graduated from the National University of Singapore with the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1997. In 2002, she obtained the degree of Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) from the National University of Singapore and was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2005. In the same year, she was also made a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore.
She was Senior Consultant Ophthalmologist at the National Healthcare Group Eye Institute / Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where she was also Head of the Vitreo-Retina Service and Head of Eye Diagnostic Services until 2014. She currently continues to hold the position of a Visiting Consultant ophthalmologist there, and is also Adjunct Assistant Professor at the National University of Singapore Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine Department of Ophthalmology.
Dr Tan is fellowship-trained in both the Surgical and Medical Vitreo-Retina subspecialties. After completing her residency training in Singapore, she underwent a rigorous selection process and was admitted to the prestigious Vitreo-Retina fellowship programme at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Infirmary in Melbourne, Australia. In addition, she has also undergone fellowship training at the Harvard Medical School & Schepens Eye Research Institute in Massachusetts, USA.
She is a recipient of numerous awards including the Gold Medal and Book Prize in Ophthalmology, as well as the Singapore Ministry of Health “Health Manpower Development Program” scholarship for subspecialty training. She has also been awarded several international and local awards in ophthalmology research including the prestigious Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmlogy /Gesine Mohn Award (USA) and the Annual Research Meeting in Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences Merit Award (Singapore).
Dr Tan’s covers a wide spectrum of eye conditions including routine & complex cataracts, glaucoma, ocular inflammation and infections, ocular trauma, myopia-related eye conditions, etc. She is highly experienced in treating complicated cataracts which often require a combination of complex surgical techniques.
Her area of special interest is in the surgical treatment of disorders like retinal detachments, diabetic retinopathy, vitreous hemorrhages and other complex vitreoretinal diseases. She is very familiar with the use of the new small-incision sutureless surgery technique for the treatment of these conditions, and was one of the first surgeons in the region to use this technique.
Her area of special expertise also includes cutting-edge medical therapies e.g. the use of different forms of laser therapies, as well as intravitreal Lucentis, Eylea or Ozurdex for the treatment of degenerative eye diseases like age-related macular degeneration & polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy, diabetic macular edema, choroidal neovascularization from high myopia, and macular edema from retinal vascular occlusions.
Dr Tan is a key opinion leader in the field of medical and surgical Vitreo-Retina, and sits on several medical advisory boards for novel therapies and formulation of new treatment recommendations using Lucentis, Eylea, Photodynamic therapy and Jetrea.
She has participated as principal investigator in numerous international clinical trials for developing new treatments for Vitreo-Retinal disorders. Until 2013, she was also the Head of the National Healthcare Group Eye Institute Fundus Image Reading Centre, which specializes in advanced imaging of complex Vitreo-Retinal disorders and their interpretation for global clinical trials.
Dr Tan conducts lectures and teaching courses regularly in local and international meetings, and has trained many junior surgeons locally and regionally.
Comprehensive eye care:
• Red eyes, eye infections and inflammatory diseases, styes and chalazia
• Eye trauma
• Myopia treatment
• Eye screening e.g. general eye screening & diabetic eye screening
Area of special expertise:
Conditions related to the retina
• Floaters, retinal tears and retinal detachments
• High myopia-related macular degeneration and bleeding
• Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
• Diabetic eye diseases (diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy)
• Retinal vein or arteriole occlusions/blockages
• Macular diseases e.g. epiretinal membranes, macula holes
• Inherited and congenital eye diseases e.g. night-blindness
• Severe eye trauma
Treatments & surgical expertise:
• Cataract surgery and lens implant
• Vitrectomy surgery
• Scleral buckle surgery
• Pterygium excision and conjunctival graft
• Glaucoma laser treatments
• Retinal laser treatments
• Intravitreal drug therapy using Eylea, Lucentis and Ozurdex
• Photodynamic laser therapy (PDT)
• Head of Vitreo-Retina service, *NHGEI / TTSH
• Head, Eye Diagnostic Services, *NHGEI / TTSH
• Head, *NHGEI Fundus Image Reading Centre
• Senior Consultant, *NHGEI / TTSH
• Fellow, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
• Fellow, Harvard Medical School & Schepens Eye Research Institute, USA
* National Healthcare Group Eye Institute / Tan Tock Seng Hospital
• Visiting Senior Consultant, *NHGEI / TTSH
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, ^NUHS / YYLSM Department of Ophthalmology
^ National University Hospital, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine